-->

1/3/12

Music Review: Passive Me, Aggressive You

Artist: The Naked and Famous
Album: Passive Me, Aggressive You

The Naked and Famous is a band formed in 2008, in Auckland, New Zealand. They are described as indie/alt rock, and are very similar to MGMT and Passion Pit. The studio album was recorded by their own label, Somewhat Damaged.

Passive Me, Aggressive You is their debut album that spawned five singles, and contains the following tracks:

2. The Source
5. Eyes
11. A Wolf in Greek's Clothing

I chose to do this band/album because they're fairly new to me, and I'd rather not include favoritism in my critique. If I had to choose my top three songs off of the album, they would be "Young Blood", "No Way", and "Girls Like You". Many people probably think that all their songs sound familiar, and I get that, many bands try to go for the MGMT-esque avant garde sound. It's interesting, though, the fact that they are from New Zealand and said that they were not influenced by modern indie rock. I love the sound of each song individually, the vocals from Alisa Xayalith and Thom Powers are brought together by the melodic synth sounds of the tracks. It's something new and refreshing if you want to break away from the current mainstream and alternative rock we hear today. The music videos are also worth a mention, seeing as how they each tell a story with stunning visuals to go along with the lyrics. Overall, it's an album definitely worth listening to, and a new band to lookout for in terms of new tracks and singles.

RATING: 8.5 out of 10

Though not the most amazing album made, it is something that should be experienced if you want to be introduced to new styles of music.

Pros: Great vocals, refreshing sounds, and catchy singles
Cons: Slightly repetitive on a couple of songs

3 comments:

  1. Something I was not aware of in the world of music. I like it. I appreciate all the links. Found "Bird" on my own...good stuff. Your analysis is spot-on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, The Naked and Famous are pretty decent, and their music videos are very interesting (gotta love a good music video). And I mean, yeah you are right, they do sound a lot like Passion Pit/MGMT...which I'd call whiny...haha, but good!

    ReplyDelete