-->

1/26/12

Scene Re-write(s)

Page 92

Gatsby began take out a pile of clothes, throwing the shiny silk and thick linen in the air, landing in a colorful disarray atop the table. He continued to add to the mountain of fabric as tears began to well at my eyes at the sheer power of this image. Finally, I grabbed the nearest shirt and buried my face in it, starting to sob uncontrollably.

"They're such beautiful shirts," I cried, muffled by the folds of the shirt. "It makes me sad because I've never seen such---such beautiful shirts before."

That's not true. What really struck me was the realization of why I left Gatsby all those years ago. It was his wealth, or lack thereof, that separated us. But now, after seeing his money materialistically represented there upon the tabletop, I know that I was wrong. That I should never have been so foolish. Though, after all, that's all beautiful girls are meant to be in life. Foolish.

...

Gatsby took us outside to begin a tour of the grounds and his swimming pool, though it began to rain soon after. We took shelter as Gatsby turned to me to say something.

"If it wasn't for the mist we could see your home across the bay," he began. "You always have a green light that burns all night at the end of your dock."

I looped my arm through his briskly, clutching tightly. His words meant so much to me, then. The fact that he had been waiting all these years to see me once more, how he had never given up hope. How, in a way, he had been watching over me even though I had forgotten about him for the time being. Tom was nowhere near my mind, now.

....

Page 116

"Holding down the receiver," I said cynically.
"No, he's not," Nick assured me. "It's a bona-fide deal. I happen to know about it."
The door opened and out came Tom, hurrying into the room with a sort of urgency.
"Mr. Gatsby!" Tom shouted hysterically, holding out his hand with an air of concealed dislike. "I'm glad to see you, sir....Nick..."
"Make us a cold drink," I ordered, looking him over dully.
He left the room, and I took the chance to kiss Gatsby on the mouth again.
"You know I love you," I told him, looking into his eyes.
"You forget there's a lady present." said Jordan.
I looked around at the others doubtfully, shifting my gaze.
"You kiss Nick too," he implied.
"What a low, vulgar girl!"

No comments:

Post a Comment